- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced carrots (about 2-3 large carrots)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 pounds uncooked chicken breast, cut into bite size chunks
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked wild rice or wild rice blend
- 7 cups chicken broth, organic and/or low sodium
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used ground oatmeal) or almond flour
Heat olive oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion, carrots and celery and sauté for 6-8 minutes or until onions are softened; stir in seasoning (oregano, thyme and poultry seasoning) and cook for 30 seconds longer. Transfer to crock pot. Next add in uncooked chicken breast chunks, wild rice and chicken broth. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
About a half hour before you are ready to serve the soup, mix sour cream and flour (ground oatmeal/almond flour) together in a small bowl with a fork. Turn slow cooker to high and slowly add in sour cream/flour mixture; stir for a few minutes until well combined, then place cover back on crock pot and allow to cook for 20 more minutes to allow soup to thicken up. Add salt and pepper to taste before serving. We like serving ours with homemade multi-grain bread for dipping.