God has called me to write more health and wellness devotions on my blog. This will be the first of many to come. I hope you enjoy ☺
I absolutely love how Paul starts this passage with a rhetorical question. The formatting of this particular Scripture causes the reader to look inward and ponder the ever so intricate reality that we have a Holy Spirit dwelling within our body. Miraculous and semi-unbelievable isn’t it?
Before we continue to answer the question posed (How do we honor, protect and decorate our temple?) there are a few important things to note about the Holy Spirit:
- The Holy Spirit is part of the Trinity. The Trinity is the Godhead in ONE: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- The Holy Spirit does not live in everyone. If and when you accept Jesus into your heart and start the ever growing, constantly changing, beautiful, wild, indescribable, adventurous, rollercoaster- relationship with your Maker, He will send a helper into your body called the Holy Spirit.
- The Holy Spirit is that little voice inside your head that guides you into following through with right choices vs. wrong choices. AKA: your conscience. Now, I know what you’re thinking: Even if someone doesn’t believe in God, everybody has a conscience. Yes, that is true. Your conscience is a God-given instinct that is proof your heavenly Father is pursuing you. (Even if you do not believe) However, just because you are morally sound, does not mean you have a supernatural presence living inside you.
- Once you have accepted Christ as your personal Savior, (and mean it from the depth of your soul, with total and complete abandonment of the old you, through the day to day process of seeking God through the Word) the Holy Spirit takes residence in your body. This is sometimes an automatic change in positive behavior(s) for some, but for others (myself included) the process of becoming more Christ-like…. takes time. This is what we call the life-long journey of sanctification.
- In Scripture, time and time again, our body is called the TEMPLE of the HOLY SPIRIT. (Hence my shirt) My shirt simply states: My body is my temple.
Temple (Latin: Templum) is a structure for spiritual activities. It’s a house of worship. It’s a building of beauty and esteem. It’s a framework of awe. It’s a sacred ground and even more fascinating from the Webster dictionary definition, “Is a plan in preparation that was marked on the ground by the augur.” (Who is a priest)
Seriously, you can go SO deep with this. Check this out: An auger specialized in interpreting the will of God. So, what this is saying is that, the Holy Spirit has taken residence in your body because YOU have chosen to do the will of God. YOU have been called to be BOLD and different. You were set apart to live a life with purpose and love and servant-heartedness. (Like Jesus) This is why the Holy Spirit takes residence in you!!! You are a safe place. You are able to communicate with God on a different level that others do not have the ability to do. You are part of the plan. You are being prepared to fight this invisible war that many other people (brothers and sisters in Christ included) have NO IDEA we fight. You were marked. You were chosen. MIND BLOWING!
Now, that we have done a lil’ Holy Ghost 101, let’s answer this question: How do we honor, protect and decorate our Temple?
- Honor through: Exercise. BOOM! This is why I chose my career. My business model is centered around 1 Timothy 4:8, “Physical training is of value, but godliness trumps all!” By maintaining a healthy weight and incorporating lifting, I am able to move swiftly, function without pain and feel just all around plain healthy! Through weight training and cardio, I have energy, I have zest, I am strong and I am able to do the will of God well. That is a blessing and something I will never take for granted. This is what God wants for all of us.
- Protect through: Healthy eating. Gluttony is a sin my friends. Don’t get me wrong, I struggle BIG time with weekend portion control. But, food can either be your best form of medicine or your lowest form of poison. Food is part of the invisible war that myself and other Christians teach people to fight against. The enemy has lured, persuaded and deceived Americans into thinking so SO many backwards things about drinking and eating. I could write a WHOLE separate blog on this; don’t even get me started!!
- Decorate through: Modesty. One of my FAVORITE little mnemonics is I.O.U: (I learned this from good old’ Chip Ingram sermon)
- Inward Character
- Outward Modesty
- Upward Direction
My wisest and most valued girl friends practice this lifestyle. Inward character means that you live by God’s standards. You do not live by the world’s idea of what’s “in” or “cool” or whatever you want to call it. Outward Modesty means that you’re nothing but class! You do not need to dress inappropriately to feel recognized, attractive and unique. You want to win people hearts, not their lust. Upward direction means that your hope of heaven far outweighs the ever fading, oh so short, (blink and your 80) life on earth.
This (in the long-drawn out version) is why I love my shirt! Thanks Paul.
Be unique. Inspire others. Love the Lord. Live each day as if it’s your last. You are blessed to be alive. So, go love on someone today and don’t forget to compliment his or her temple.
BLESSINGS AND LOVE,